[Dev-luatex] assigment to node fields ignored

Paweł Jackowski P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl
Tue Dec 22 02:51:45 CET 2009

>> By compiling and trying several revisions back, I found that it is so
>> sice rev3229. Is the pdf_refobj whatsit intentionally not writable?

Hartmut:
> found it, i had misunderstood the meaning of "attr" in texnodes.c, it
> should be fixed now in SVN 3279.

Checked on 3282; pdf_refobj.objnum works ok.

> Many thanks for reporting, and sorry
> for the trouble.

Many thanks for the fix few hours after my feedback, and me sorry for
the trouble :)

>>   pdf.whatever = true
>>   assert(pdf.whatever)
>>
>> are ignored since rev3206. That doesn't hurt, just wanted to be sure
>> if this is acknowledged.

Hans:
> that's a bug then as there is no reason not to assing to the pdf table
> (i probably do that anyway)

OK then, reported to mantis as http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=310
As since this needs touching pdf metatable anyway, two thoughts for your
consideration.

1. New pdf table fields (pdf.pdftrailer, pdf.pdfinfo, pdf.pdfcatalog,
pdf.pdfnames) actually do nothing more but assign internal toks lists.
As we know, their pdftex equivalents weren't generic toks lists, but
perhaps they should for interface consistency? And perhaps they should
live in the same place as pdfpageattr and companion?

2. Fontmap-related write-only fields (pdf.mapline, pdf.mapfile) could
actually be static functions

	pdf.mapline "+font Font ..."
	pdf.mapfile "pdftex.map"

as there is no advantage of having them dynamic. Then one can local them

	local mapline = pdf.mapline

avoiding unnecessary overhead of metacall on every access to pdf table.

Best regards, Paweł
--
Pawe/l Jackowski
P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl