[Dev-luatex] problem with os.spawn+os.execute on win32

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Sep 2 12:59:56 CEST 2008


Hans Hagen a écrit :
> i tried your script

You mean scriptS? Because the problem happens only when there are two
scripts involved.

I did another round of tests, systematically trying all combinations of
os.execute, os.exec, os.spawn, with both string and list form for exec
and spawn. The result is rather clear: the crash happens if and only if
the wrapper invokes os.exec() or os.spawn() (any form).

Reformulating: it works if and only if the wrapper invokes os.execute.

> on vista (ultimate, sp 2) and had no crash;

I'll try to find other machines to run more tests.

> actually
>  acrobat didn't start unless i provide the full path
> 
As I said, I previously added acrobat to my path to simplify the tests.

> os.exec({"c:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader
>  9.0\\Reader\\acrord32.exe","e:/tmp/oeps.pdf"})
> 
> opens the file but with an acrobat message (file not found while the
> file is opened anyway) so the problems you report might be with acrobat
> 
It does the same on my machine, invoked this way. Interestingly enough,
  it stops doing so if I add c:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader to
my PATH and then call just os.exec {"acrord32", "d:/pathto/file.pdf"}.

Anyway, this is not the problem. The problem is that when you call in
any way (os.execute, os.exec, os.spawn) AR9 froms a texlua script that
was os.spawn()-ed or os.exec()-ed by a texlua script that previoulsy
initialised kpse, it crashes. Probably there is something specific to
acrobat reader version 8 and 9, but it doesn't look totally unrelated to
os.exec() or os.spawn() either...

Manuel.



More information about the dev-luatex mailing list