[Dev-luatex] Level 1 OFM Support

Jin-Hwan Cho chofchof at ktug.or.kr
Fri May 23 15:12:24 CEST 2008

Dear Taco,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

On May 23, 2008, at 9:58 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> In truth I was not supporting OFM level 1 because the tools to create
> them are broken (at least all the ones I could find) and the
> technology
> is a dead end, it is much nicer to use TTF/OTF directly.

You are right except for ttf2tfm (patched by me for a few years ago).
OFM level 1 is better than OFM level 0 because the file size is too big
in the case of level 0 for CJK fonts. Anyway, I agree with your idea
that it might be better to use TTF/OTF directly. Actually I always
insisted
on this idea.

>> Anyway, I made a patch to support this format except for char_param
>> (see \S95 entry of the ofm2opl manual, p.235) because I did not
>> know how these parameters were used in LuaTeX.
>
> I can apply your patch in any case.

I do not mind if you do not apply.

>> I tested a few sample OFM files of level 1. Especially I have
>> cyberb.ofm (level 1) generated by ttf2tfm from Bitstream
>> cyberbit.ttf. And, it was successful to get CJK characters in the
>> DVI mode. It looks that LuaTeX does not support yet 16-bit
>> characters in PDF mode.
>
> Not ones loaded from OFM files, no. I didn't know how to do it,
> and because of the 'dead technology' did not want to invest too
> much time in learning, either.  I assume there is some mapping
> of tfmindex-to-ttfindex involved?

Yes. It's really hard to find anyone using OFM files. I agree that this
is 'dead technology'. Then, what do you mean by the mapping of
tfmindex-to-ttfindex?

> But:
>
>> For CJK people, the first thing what we want is to support CJK
>> characters in PDF mode without using subfont scheme (as CJK-LaTeX
>> and Korean ko.TeX).
>
> it works if you load the TTF/OTF font directly using lua. Hans does
> that in context mkiv. See this file
>
>  http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mk.pdf
>
> for an example of the output. That is straight from luatex, no
> dvipdfmx inbetween.

Looks quite interesting. Does it use fontforge library? I tested a
little with
the fontforge library in LuaTeX. But it was not successful for CJK
fonts.
It took too much time.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I have something to study in this
weekend.
Maybe my family do not like you because you took my time from my family.

Best regards, ChoF.