[Dev-luatex] Assignments in Lua

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri May 23 13:19:21 CEST 2008

Jonathan Sauer wrote:

> Are there any ideas on how to extend TeX's syntax? More than nine
> parameters (if that is useful)? Parameter matching using regular
> expressions or Lua patterns? Optional parameters without having to
> use \futurelet (expandable, no fixed catcodes)?

the main short term objectives are

(1) opening up the existing functionality
(2) opentype (mostly done)
(3) unicode (done)

since luatex is supposed to replace pdftex, we don't mess around too
much with the basics

extending the syntax is not a priority; in principle one can write
another input language, map the parsed result onto primitives or lua
functions etc etc

maybe a few etex like thingies will show up

after all, when you want a different syntax you can use lua to parse
your input (e.g. preprocess the file and then pipe it into the existing
machinery)

if we start looking into that direction, we need a pretty stable luatex
i.e. 1.0+ and that will take a few years