[Dev-luatex] Assignments in Lua

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri May 23 13:12:04 CEST 2008

Jonathan Sauer wrote:

> Are there any ideas on how to extend TeX's syntax? More than nine
> parameters (if that is useful)? Parameter matching using regular
> expressions or Lua patterns? Optional parameters without having to
> use \futurelet (expandable, no fixed catcodes)?

As Hans said, this is low priority, but it would be simple to
map simple lua functions to simple tex csnames.

Once inside a lua function, you could then call token.get_next()
and possibly some other helpers to do more advanced stuff.  There
could well be a frontend to fetch the wanted arguments using
something like a (fictional) token.match function.

We have not actually given this any thought yet, and the most important
thing is therefore not coding, but coming up with a nice interface.
Suggestions in that area are certainly welcome.