[Dev-luatex] luasocket

Jonathan Sauer Jonathan.Sauer at silverstroke.com
Wed May 21 08:51:05 CEST 2008

Hello,

> I've just committed the incorporation of "luasocket" by Diego
> Nehab, see
> http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~diego/professional/luasocket/
>
> This allows luatex to browse the web ;-)

What about luacoffee? I'd like LuaTeX to make coffee ;-)

But seriously: From looking into the Context source, it seems that
this would be used to download modules/packages/files on the fly,
just like MikTeX does it.

A security consideration, though: There should be an option to
disable this module to prevent LuaTeX from playing E.T. (phoning
home). Extending the --safer option would not be fine-grained
enough, since this option only deals with local accesses, not
remote ones. So maybe a --nosocket option. That way, net access
can be disabled, but not file access (since --safer also prevents
io.open from opening files for writing).

> Best wishes,
> Taco

Jonathan