[Dev-luatex] "error" in LuaTeX and Lua (again) and manual .diff

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue May 6 10:47:55 CEST 2008

Jonathan Sauer wrote:

> While the stack backtrace for code created using \directlua is now
> very readable, IMO the same cannot be said for code loaded via
> loadfile, at least when kpathsearch is involved. Then the stack
> backtrace contains the absolute path of each Lua file, making it quite
> a mouthfull.

But this could actually be useful, right?

> Incidentally, I noticed that the code
>
>   lua.bytecode[n] = loadfile(kpse.find_file(filename))
>
> when used in IniTeX (to preload a complete Lua file) stores the file's
> complete path in the compiled Lua code (for the stack backtrace) which
> is then dumped into the format file. Since it is possible that the
> path contains private information, i.e. the user name, this private
> information would then be stored in the format file.

I am not worried about this. If you can read an fmt file on a particular
machine, you can almost certainly read some /etc/passwd on that same
network as well. There is a limit to how far I am willing to cater for
paranoia. But I have applied to manual patch including the remark about
this.