[Dev-luatex] compile flags in luatex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Mar 24 22:45:57 CET 2008

Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2008/3/23, Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de>:
>> TL is currently broken because of the new TeX and aleph & omega &
>>  xetex, so I'm stuck. :-(
>
> r7124 has a first import, but compilation is disabled (to enable it,
> remove the string #LUATEX from web2c/Makefile.in). I've stopped
> because Taco changed the signature of convert from 3 parameters to 4
> and I don't want to introduce that change to web2c; I leave that to
> Karl (and Taco is offline). If enabled compilation currently fails
> when converting luatangle:
>
> srcdir=../../../texk/web2c /bin/sh ../../../texk/web2c/web2c/convert luatangle
> syntax error: Last token = 290 ("), error buffer = `LUATANGLEHELP',
>         last id = `LUATANGLEHELP' (not in symbol table).
> .../../../texk/web2c/web2c/convert: conversion of luatangle.p failed,
> moving dregs:
> .../../../texk/web2c/web2c/convert:   mv luatangle.c luatangle.h /tmp
> make[2]: *** [luatangle.c] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ms/tex/texlive/svn/trunk/Build/source/Work/texk/web2c'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ms/tex/texlive/svn/trunk/Build/source/Work/texk'
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> Even if building of luatex will succeed once, we still need additional
> work:
> - the top-level configure needs a --without-luatex switch
> - the libs probably need some configure work
> - and Taco has spent quite some time in making cross-compilation of
>   luatex work. The changes for that might clash with the TL
>   "framework"

we're not going to cripple the compilation by the existing complexity of
the tex source tree, are we; i'm somewhat jalous of those repositories
with clean source trees that one can download and compile on all
relevant platforms without trouble

one reason for the separate luatex/mplib tree was that it gives us the
possibility to stepwise only add modern progs that we need and thereby
simplify things

one thing that really bothers me is that tex and friends, being just
data proessors (not much gui mes sinvolved), have such a huge and
complex source tree