[Dev-luatex] Unicode in \pdfinfo

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Jun 28 13:36:01 CEST 2008

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>> this is a backend c.q macro package issue ... (btw this can also be
>>> done   in pdftex, but i never came to enabling the code in context
>>> because  there was nothign to test)
>>
>> I suspected that, since hyperrref with latex does this, but I found that
>> xetex supports Unicode pdfinfo directly and thought luatex should do
>> this too.
>
> I could intercept \pdfinfo, but I suspect there are many more locations
> (like bookmarks). Hans, would automatic conversion to utf16 be doable?

i'd rather wait with such things till the backend is redesigned; in
principle one can have pdfdoc encoding or unicode in (strings) but also
use <hex numbered strings>; it may help at some point to have a
string.utf8to16 function which can be used in drivers (going from utf8
to utf16 is somewhat cumbersome in lua), so that backend code could do

\pdfinfo{ ... /someentry
   {\directlua0
     {tex.write(utf16bom..string.utf8toutf16{...}} ... }

so, no intercept (after all, that would involve parsing and always be
moving target) but just a helper

(it's already doable but mostly a matter if supporting it -)