[Dev-luatex] Unicode in \pdfinfo

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Jun 28 08:55:38 CEST 2008

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:49:07PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>> \pdfinfo doesn't seem to support Unicode, when I compile the attached
>>> example with luatex I get symbols like هصة instead of the proper
>>> (Arabic) Unicode strings.
>>> Shouldn't luatex default to Unicode here too?
>> this is a backend c.q macro package issue ... (btw this can also be done
>>  in pdftex, but i never came to enabling the code in context because
>> there was nothign to test)
>
> I suspected that, since hyperrref with latex does this, but I found that
> xetex supports Unicode pdfinfo directly and thought luatex should do
> this too.

I could intercept \pdfinfo, but I suspect there are many more locations
(like bookmarks). Hans, would automatic conversion to utf16 be doable?

> Try generating the attached example with xetex.

It is a little easier for xetex because it is not normal for xetex
users to create their own literal pdf output. In pdftex (and thus
luatex) this happens all the time.