[Dev-luatex] generalized hyphenation

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Feb 28 13:34:12 CET 2008

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

>>> For sure. Feel free to propose a syntax ;-)
>>
>> Of course, while we are at it, we want \patterns{a23b} to have the
>> normal meaning of "2", but delivering a penalty corresponding to 70 when
>> we have specified \hyphenpenalties 5 10 30 40 70 20 (similar to the
>> widowpenalties multiplicity).  That allows specifying breakpoints with
>> various priorities (good and bad ones).
>
> I am having a hard time parsing this. How does the "3" relate to the
> value "70"? Also, how do you propose to create such pattern files?

70 is the fourth value (index 3) in the list of 5 penalty values.  As to
generating the pattern files: this depends on a hyphenation list with
prioritized breakpoints (the printed Duden lexicon shows such
breakpoints, good and emergency ones, so I presume that there might be
some database somewhere).

I don't know any money or urgency sitting around for a feature like
that, though.