[Dev-luatex] generalized hyphenation

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Feb 27 23:20:35 CET 2008

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> Vladimir Volovich wrote:
>>
>> some languages need a lot of discretionaries for proper hyphenation, and
>> allowing to specify whole-word exceptions with arbitary discretionaries
>> is already a good step forward, but i wonder if you plan to extend the
>> \patterns mechanism to support arbitrary discretionaries too?
>
> For sure. Feel free to propose a syntax ;-)

Of course, while we are at it, we want \patterns{a23b} to have the
normal meaning of "2", but delivering a penalty corresponding to 70 when
we have specified \hyphenpenalties 5 10 30 40 70 20 (similar to the
widowpenalties multiplicity).  That allows specifying breakpoints with
various priorities (good and bad ones).

Another wishlist item would be to be able to use the pattern mechanism
for picking between long and short s forms (won't help in the case of
"Wachstube" which can have either depending on meaning, but should work
for most other cases).