[Dev-luatex] Getting Started

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Wed Feb 13 16:10:10 CET 2008

سلام وفا,

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 04:27:07 -0700, وفا خلیقی، Vafa Khalighi
<vafa at live.com.au> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to configure the LuaTeX in windows?

It depends: Are you using Plain, LaTeX, or ConTeXt? I only know something
about luaTeX and ConTeXt; have no idea of the status of the other two.

> I already download the binary for windows.

Make sure you got the latest version:

http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luatex/

I'm not sure if the one on http://luatex.org/ is up to date.

http://luatex.org/documentation.html

> I hope LuaTeX will become a better choice for typesetting persian texts
> than XeTeX.

Could you (offline if you prefer) explain why you are dissatisfied with
XeTeX? I have never used it.

As far as I know bidirectionality should be better in luatex because we
use the aleph-omega extensions which are

1) much better than etex's -- used by XeTeX (I tested this some time ago)
2) tested reasonably well (late last year). A few bugs may remain of
course but basic bidi is quite solid in luaTeX.

But I'd like to know what your experiences are. One of the short-term
goals of the luaTeX project is proper handling of Arabic script and we
could use any information you have on the rules for the proper setting of
Farsi.

خدا حافظ
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies