[Dev-luatex] again problems ..., os.spawn and spaces in names

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Feb 8 18:25:11 CET 2008

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> one more question ... (sorry for being so annoying)
>
> On Fr, 08 Feb 2008, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Fr, 08 Feb 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>> Attached a version that does indeed allow that. If you alter the
>>> table so that your debug output looks like this, hopefully that will
>>> give you a proper perl call:
>>>
>>>  DEBUG:	0 C:/tl test/2008/tlpkg/tlperl/bin/perl.exe
>>>  DEBUG:	1 "C:/tl test/2008/tlpkg/tlperl/bin/perl.exe"
>>>  DEBUG:	2 "c:/tl test/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive/generate-updmap.pl"
>> Ok, it was 1, 2, 0 (from the order) but it did work!!! Thanks a lot!
>
> I guess we have to live with the fact that the quoting has to be done
> ONLY for windows, because when I do
> 	command = { '"'..perlbin..'"', '"'..script..'"'}
> 	command[0] = perlbin
> then it works on win32, but on unix I get:
> 	cannot find script ""...""
> (mind the double quotes.
>
> Well, I can live with it, it is just a pain ;-)

That's life. In fact, it is even possible that windows will balk at the
quotes too, in the case that there is _no_ space in the argument proper.

I remember when all this started, Hans already said that just having a
table instead of a string does not solve the portability problems. He
was quite right.