[Dev-luatex] again problems ..., os.spawn and spaces in names

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Feb 8 15:38:49 CET 2008

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> writes:

> Hi David, hi Taco,
>
> On Fr, 08 Feb 2008, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Isn't that obvious?  A pseudo command line is created and called, and
>> Perl splits it at the first space, disregarding the quoting.
>
> No it is not. AFAIS from the source code there is no shell involved
> here, that is what did surprise me.

I did not say a shell would be involved.  I did not even say a command
line was created.  I said a "pseudo command line": Windows AFAIR does
not have a proper argument passing mechanism.  It just passes command
lines.

> But I may be wrong, there are so many definitions around in
> loslibsomething.c that I was lost.
>
>> Since the correct interpreter actually gets called, it would seem like
>
> I am not sure, why please does perl get its own path as argument? That
> cannot be explained with the space splitting AFAIS.

It gets a whole command line.

>> the culprit here would be your Perl interpreter or its runtime
>> libraries/environment.
>
> Hmm, that perl works with spaces in names files, we have tested it.

Apparently not when figuring out where its command name ends in the
command line and where the real arguments start.

--
David Kastrup