[Dev-luatex] again problems ..., os.spawn and spaces in names

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Feb 8 15:36:04 CET 2008

Norbert Preining wrote:

> But I may be wrong, there are so many definitions around in
> loslibsomething.c that I was lost.
>
>> Since the correct interpreter actually gets called, it would seem like
>
> I am not sure, why please does perl get its own path as argument? That
> cannot be explained with the space splitting AFAIS.

perl.exe is called directly, by the spawnvpe() call.
Apparently, it gets this in its argv:

   argv[0] = C:/tl
   argv[1] = test/2008/tlpkg/tlperl/bin/perl.exe
   argv[2] = c:/tl
   argv[3] = test/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive/generate-updmap.pl

And then it will attempt to load a perl script by the name
it finds in argv[1]. To me, that sounds like a runtime library
issue (but it could be 'my' msvcrt, it is not necessarily perl's).