[Dev-luatex] mplib failed to build on osx

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Feb 2 09:43:11 CET 2008

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Taco,
>
> On my machine (macbook with os x tiger 10.4.10, Xcode Version 2.5),
> the latest LuaTeX beta (0.20.2) builds fine and works well, and today
> I see the upload mplib, so I want to have a try:
>
> I tar the bzip2 files, change directory to mplib-alpha-0.10, and run
> ./build.sh.
> I am pretty sure I have the ctangle installed and I can call it from
> my bash (because I have  MacTeX 2007 installed), just as your INSTALL
> file mentioned. it configures fine, but wont make. the script said:
>
> macbook:~/Desktop/mplib-alpha-0.10 wangyue$ ./build.sh
> configure: updating cache .././config.cache
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile.aux
> sed: 1: "/@configure_input@/ { h ...": extra characters at the end of G command
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating c-auto.h
> configuring in web2c
> configure: warning: no configuration information is in web2c
> make: *** No rule to make target `../kpathsea/libkpathsea.la'.  Stop.

This is the 'configure' in the kpathsea directory, that is automatically
descended into from the 'texk' directory. It is just a copy of kpathsea
directory from the texlive repository I made last tuesday.

I implicitly trusted the texlive repository to be OK, but it turns out
that texlive is just now in the middle the transition from autoconf 2.13
to autoconf 2.61. Just bad luck I picked this exact moment.

I've added a CC to Peter Breitenlohner, he may be interested in this
bug because it will likely affect texlive2008 as well unless something
is done about it.

For you, if you want to continue right away, just replace the mplib
kpathsea directory with the luatex kpathsea and re-run build.sh.