[Dev-luatex] Modifying the LuaTeX Engine

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Dec 29 01:11:37 CET 2008

Jonathan Fine wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> well, you made a remark and david's responded, so the discussion is
>> now two mails long
>>
>> anyhow, if it's so off topic (and david's mail was quite on-the-topic
>> that you started), then why did you made your remark in the first place;
>
> To answer your question, briefly.
>
> In my view, my remark (on proliferation of pseudo-TeXs) was relevant and
> David's remark (on worship of Donald Knuth) was not.

well, one way of reading davids remark is

"there are folks out there who try to reason and talk on behalf of Don
Knuth without knowing his real opinions"

actually i've heard Don say (at an ntg QA session long ago) that he was
surprised that there were no more fundamental extensions like pdftex (at
that time upcoming); also, there is a difference between (say) 2^4
fundamental different tex variants and 2^32 confusingly slightly
unsimilar ones