[Dev-luatex] Modifying the LuaTeX Engine

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun Dec 28 11:45:07 CET 2008

I read "If we have \autoLRdirset, then characters 0 to 127 as LTR
characters and characters
128 to 255 as RTL characters, will be assumed and based on this the
direction of the
typesetting will be determined."

First of all, both LTR and RTL characters are far more than 128.

And secondly, there are many characters which are neither LTR nor RTL
(like the period, exclamation mark, delimiters, etc.). Are you using
two different periods, two different exclamation marks, etc.? That was
the Apple approach during the Worldscript era.

Unicode bidi algorithm has be designed to take all these issues into
account.

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| TELECOM
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.