[Dev-luatex] Modifying the LuaTeX Engine

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Dec 26 12:54:10 CET 2008

Le 26 déc. 08 à 02:03, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي
حامد a écrit :

> As I mentioned above, I think the last Omega primitives are newer
> than TeX-e-Parsi's. But a related issue: Are those primitives based
> on the unicode bidi algorithm?

Implementing Unicode bidi will mean keeping track of the
(directionality of the) first character of every horizontal list so
that calculations of embedding levels can be done. Omega has never
done that, and it couldn't do it because OTPs use buffers which are
most of the time smaller than the whole paragraph. Is TeX-e-Parsi
doing it?

Furthermore you all talk about LTR and RTL, but what about vertical
typesetting, in the Chinese or in the Mongolian way? Obviously TeX-e-
Parsi doesn't care about that.

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| TELECOM
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.