[Dev-luatex] Modifying the LuaTeX Engine

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Dec 26 12:15:01 CET 2008

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:

> Again, I think that Yazdipour's approach here is anachronistic -- with
> all due respect. But if this is indeed the case, then this tells me that
> there is no Omega code in TeX-e-Parsi at all. So in effect you are
> asking that luatex ditch the entire bidi model it has and replace it
> with TeX-e-Parsi's. Then we have to hook that in to pdf output and many
> other things. Given the stability and polish of the bidi engine as it
> stands I am not sure this is wise at the moment

indeed. the multi direction engine will stay, but it might be improved
(for instance we will carry around more info in nodes esp par related
issues demand this);

on the other hand, the omega approach using otp filtering is no longer
that relevant (nor are omega fonts) so hose bits and pieces of the code
are still there but kind of obsolete

maye e-parsi has some interesting concepts that we can add, but it can
never replace fundamental mechanisms, only extend them

> The apparent verbatim bug is there, on the first page of global_rl2.pdf,
> but other than that bidi is quite solid.

verbatim is mostly a macro package issue (i'll deal with in mkiv)