[Dev-luatex] Luatex beta 0.31.0

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Dec 8 14:11:18 CET 2008

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Taco:
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:
>> Yue Wang wrote:
>>> Hi, Taco:
>>>
>>> Your patch works great!
>>> Now LuaTeX compiles fine on my system.
>> Surprised, but happy. :-)
>>

> Thanks for solving this problem. Congratulations:)
> How did you fix it? just use a newer version of autotools?

I removed a few checks in configure.in that are not needed for use in
luatex, and then I had to regenerate configure with my newer autotools
installation.  I do not understand which of those two actions actually
fixed it.

> well, the executable grows much larger now (6.8M stripped vs. 3.8 stripped)
> There is only 1.3M to catch up XeTeX's size ^_^
> (well, luigi said : "it's new. it's powerful. it's luatex.", and I
> think we can also add "it's big" before "it's new")

Some two megabytes of the executable is static data from fontforge's
Unicode library. In the previous version, I was able to cut that down
to a quarter of its size by removing unnecessary data and dropping
some of the CJK legacy encodings. Perhaps I will do that again when
we reach the beta-release stage for 0.40. But perhaps not, because
it makes importing new fontforge releases harder, and we could use
a proper embedded Unicode handling library anyway.