[Dev-luatex] The hpack_filter callback

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Apr 29 11:01:49 CEST 2008

Jonathan Sauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in the following PlainTeX example, I try to access all \hboxes
> created by TeX by using the hpack_filter callback:

> [deleted]
>
> Why does the filter not get called more often, namely once for every
> line in the output file?

It only gets called for explicit hboxing (that is an optimization,
but it is really needed). The manual should be clearer on this,
sorry about that.

The hpack_filter is not the right callback, at least not for now.
I could make a dedicated callback for line packaging, maybe?

It is possible to get the "prepared paragraph"  using the
"post_linebreak_filter", but then you have a bit of work to do.
Here is the code:

\directlua0{
   callback.register('post_linebreak_filter', function(head)
      % head is the alternating list of hboxes and glues etc.
      for i in node.traverse_id('hlist',head) do
           if i.next == nil then % last line has no next
              v = node.hpack(i.list,'natural')
              print (v.width / 65535)
              % next two lines prevent memory leaks
              v.list = nil
              node.free(v)
            end
         end
      return true
    end)
}

If you want to be 'perfect', you should copy i.list to and remove
the last glue(s) from the copy before hpacking() it: the final
glue(s) may have a non-zero natural width.

> Which leads me to another question: When having a \hbox node list,
> how to I determine the horizontal (when typesetting horizontally)
> resp. vertical (when typesetting vertically) position of a node
> relative to the left/top edge of the \hbox? I would think that
> after line breaking, each node should know this position, but
> how do I access it?

Using the function above, you can calculate the position within a
paragraph by adding up the various widths and heights and depths.

Exact positions are trickier: Nothing is certain until after \output,
so using the normal position primitives (\pdfsavepos, \pdflastxpos etc)
or \latelua0 {print(pdf.h)} and a two-pass approach is probably easier
to deal with.