[Dev-luatex] Collected notes

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Sep 25 13:03:43 CEST 2007

Jonathan Sauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> some notes I collected while testing LuaTeX beta 0.11.2:
>
> - It should be noted in the manual that \luaescapestring
> completely expands its parameter

Thanks, added a note to that effect.

> -	When setting a \toks register in Lua using tex.toks['foo'] =
> 'bar' et.al., what catcodetable is used? From looking inside
> luatex.web, I would guess that, since str_toks is used, all  > characters get catcode 12, except for spaces, which get catcode 10.

Correct. It is one of the first things I wrote, and it definately
needs updating. I now believe the toks array should accept and return
token list tables (instead of lua strings), and there should be helper
functions to_string() and to_tokenlist() for going back and forth.
That needs a bit of (not-yet-done) programming, but it is not hard at
all.

> - What exactly is meant by "Lua strings are converted to token lists
> 	using \the\toks style expansion" (pg. 23)?

Precisely the above str_toks reference. I've changed the wording in
manual a bit.

Cheers,