[Dev-luatex] Behaviour of \textdir in alignment preambles (Re: \pardir and \textdir etc)

Eythan Weg weg at indiscrete.org
Wed Sep 19 14:34:02 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:59:29 +0200

   Taco Hoekwater wrote:
   > In the process of looking into it now, I did find some
   > unreliability in te i386 executable, which possibly stems
   > from the same bug as your crash.
   Here is something weird: 'my' bug was a problem that happened
   only in \pdfoutput=1 mode, and it was very easy to fix. Eythan,
   if you were testing in pdf mode, this is likely the cause
   of the crashes on amd64, and the latest trunk will fix it.
   If you had crashes in dvi mode, my fix will do nothing for you.

This snippet still crushes in either dvi or pdf mode:

\pardir TRT \textdir TRT 
This is some text
\textdir TLT 
and this is too.

   I did run into something different that now needs to be resolved:
   The pdf bidi output internals are quite different from the dvi
   ones, and I now get the to-be-expected output "This andtaht"
   (no overprint), but only in pdf mode. In dvi mode, there is
   still overprint, as in Aleph.

Yes, this now works (no overprinting) also on amd64.
   This confuses me a bit: I am now not sure which of the two
   outputs is 'officially' wrong. CC to Yannis, hoping he can tell
   me whether the dvi overprint is a bug or intended behaviour
   (I have attached the tex input and a pdf generated by Aleph).
   Best wishes,

Thank you, eythan 

More information about the dev-luatex mailing list