[Dev-luatex] \pardir and \textdir etc

Eythan Weg weg at indiscrete.org
Wed Sep 19 03:35:41 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:02:29 +0200

   Eythan Weg wrote:
   > Hi,
   >
   > Running this file under luatex 11.2 on amd64
   > fails, with "segmentation fault, probably due to
   > infinite macro recursion".
   >
   > ----------------------
   > \pardir TLT
   > \textdir TLT This is some text
   > \textdir TRT and this is too.
   >
   > \halign{%
   > \textdir  TLT #&\textdir TRT#\cr
   > This and&that\cr}

   Unfortunately this runs just fine on i386, so it will have to
   wait a while, until I have access to an amd64 installation again.

Ok.

   > Also, it seems to me that eTeX treats alignment
   > with directional instructions more sensibly:
   >
   > ---------------------
   > \TeXXeTstate=1
   > \halign{%
   > \beginL#\endL&\beginR#\endR\cr
   > This and&that\cr
   > }

   If you mean the syntax difference, that can be easily faked in
   luatex if you so desire, but I fail to see how that is more
   sensible:

     \protected\def\beginL{\bgroup\textdir TLT}
     \protected\def\endL{\egroup} % or \textdir TRT
     \protected\def\beginR{\bgroup\textdir TRT}
     \protected\def\endR{\egroup}% or \textdir TLT
     \newcount\TeXXeTstate % for completeness' sake

Oh, I am sorry; I was not explicit: in the example
I gave, LuaTeX typesets the word "that" right to
left starting on the letter "d" of the word "and".
Thus the letters "taht" overlaps the word "and".
eTeX, on the other hand, typesets it like: "This
andtaht".  This latter behavior seems to me
correct.

Now I see that this might be a amd64 issue.

Thank you,
eythan