[Dev-luatex] friday news

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Oct 28 10:24:05 CET 2007

Hi David,

A short reply to (hopefully) ease your mind a bit.

The comments in the repository have been minimalistic, but there
is nothing casual about the code itself. Over the past weeks, my
co-worker Nanning Buitenhuis and I have been working non-stop on
a massive change to the internals with two main goals:

* to switch from hyphenating glyphs to hyphenating characters
* to remove the language-related limits

We are not yet completely finished, but the invasive part of
that operation is now complete, and what is left to do is pretty
simple compared to what has been done already. The worst is
definately over.

There will be a snapshot tomorrow. The repository is already set up,
but I cannot generate the packages in the weekend. You could do a
checkout right now if you are eager, the tag is "snapshot-0.15".

There will be an official beta release to consolidate the changes to
the algorithms in a week or two (after Nanning and I have done some
cleanup and written the remaining bits of code).

After that, development in luatex will slow down for a while, as my
attention will shift to the mplib project for some a few months.
In this 'resting' period we (Nanning, mostly) will be writing a paper
documenting the new behaviour in detail, and there will be plenty
of time to find the bugs.