[Dev-luatex] friday news

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Oct 26 18:20:11 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> Sorry, I had hoped to do a snapshot today, but the code is not
> really ready yet. There one big bug expecially that I want to
> fix: halfway through typesetting the reference manual it starts
> producing empty pages. Since the manual is supposed to explain
> what is new, this is pretty serious. I now hope to tackle that
> bug over the weekend, with a snapshot on monday.
>
> Sorry for the continuous delays,

As a sort of feedback: I see with growing amazement how LuaTeX is
increasingly being taken to pieces.  It does not look like stability
is around the corner anytime soon and things appear very much "under
construction".  I mean, the inner loop is gone, the "Omega becomes a
sign processor" talk we have been listening to for years more or less
is pounded into place with a few nonchalant commits, hyphenation is
replaced by a different data structure/algorithm...  The list goes on
and on.

I am not too happy about that.  On the other hand, the pieces LuaTeX
is being taken to are of the kind that one says "Yeah! Long time
due!".  I just hope you don't run out of steam before a nice point of
stability is reached again.

All the best,
David

--