[Dev-luatex] Speed of latest revisions

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue May 22 20:17:56 CEST 2007

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:
>
>> Oliver Heins wrote:
>
>> > I noticed that the latest revisions (441/442) are very slow.  I just
>> > switched back to rev 339, which runs much faster (approximated 10
>> times).
>
>> Yes, that is (more or less) on purpose
>
> Care to elaborate?  Something new and interesting going on?

Hans and I are working on a new feature we call "attributes".

An attribute is an item that becomes attached to the actual nodes
that are to be typeset. These can then be queried and/or acted upon
in the node processing callbacks, and could for instance be used
for color, glyph substitution, storing annotations in the pdf,
or even for re-linebreaking a paragraph.

The abstract idea is pretty clear, but the literal implementation
isn't -- it requires many small changes to the data structure and
the routines that handle them. The current implementation (as
started in #441) is pretty slow and wasteful on resources, to
prevent bugs stemming from optimization from obscuring bugs
caused by incorrect data structure assumptions.

Hopefully all of this will be sorted out in a few days' time.

Cheers,