[Dev-luatex] Noobie question

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Jun 23 14:26:06 CEST 2007

Simon Spiegel wrote:

> Regardless of this message, it still compiles. However, when I try to
> typeset the manual, I get the following fatal error:
> I can't find the format file
> `/Users/simi/Desktop/luatex-snapshot-20070622/build/texk/web2c/luatex.fmt'!
>
> luatex.fmt is nowhere on my system. Should this be part of the snapshot
> or is this something I should build myself?

You can best take the binaries that Arthur makes. Keep in mind that
currently luatex is still kind of instable (node reimplemenation) and
next will be a bit on the move dus to opentype reader reimplementation
(ff 2 data model); around tug 2007 we expect to have binaries available
that can qualify as beta quality.

Formats you should build yourself, in the usual way (initex mode),
unless you want to hook in lua code at startup time in which case you
may want more specialized (explicit paths and such) command lines

luatex.fmt ... in pdftex plain.tex may result in a pdftex.fmt file

luatex itself does not ship with a format (although we have plans for a
plain luatex format with rudimentary features as plain, but this has no
high priority).