[Dev-luatex] Module searching

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Dec 11 11:45:09 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 08:41:05AM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> >> Perhaps a search path could be hacked by using the output of
> >>   kpsewhich --show-path=texmfscripts
> >> and appending the module directories to each path component.
> >> But:
> >> * LuaTeX's kpse library doesn't have a "show_path" function.
>
> If you want that (or any other access to existing kpathsea stuff)
> just let me know, it easy to add extra bindings.

"kpse.show_path" is worth a try.

Then the result can be divided in separate path specifications.
Under Linux I have ":" as path separator.
How does --show-path behaves under other operating systems
(windows, ...)? Does it use a different path separator?
If yes, then a function for getting the path separator
the kpathsea library uses:
  kpse.path_separator
  (either a string or a function that returns a string)

The directory part of the module name is now added
to each path specification. Again, is "/" the correct
directory separator, also under other operating systems
for kpathsea?

Then the modified path specifications are merged
and passed to kpse.expand_path.

The result is a path list for direct script lookup.

Better than kpse.expand_path would be a kpse.find_file
That uses the path specification list directly for finding
the script. Then the ls-R lookup speed up the process.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>