[Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.0 released

Jonathan Sauer Jonathan.Sauer at silverstroke.com
Tue Dec 11 10:16:33 CET 2007

Hello,

> >> we will be abel to run multiple instances .. who knowns
> >
> > What do you mean by the latter?
>
> if a tex engine can be properly isolated one can think of
> starting a new instance

I'm still confused. Right now, I can run luatex several times in
different consoles, typesetting different documents. It also should
be possible to use os.execute to run luatex out of luatex, since
the operating system gives each instance its own memory etc.

> > Sure, but examples on how to use these interfaces can go a long way.
> > And IMO a documentation of the OpenType font metrics table is indeed

> > for the manual. Otherwise, how should one be able to create a
solution?

> by consulting documentation (fontforge, ms site, adobe) ...

Well, fontforge's documentation mostly deals with the font designer
itself. I found a little bit about the data structures, but that only
dealt with the internal data structures, not how a font is "exported".

> of just looking into the lua table ...

That amounts to reverse-engineering. The tables can be mis-interpreted.

> there are many variations in fonts and features; type 1, open type,
> what-comes-next ...  such standards (sic) have their own documentation

Of course. But this documentation does not tell me how LuaTeX
maps the font's data structures to Lua tables.

> > Who can only write code if they have the documentation.
>
> indeed, but look at good old tex ... eventually macro
> packages evolved that go way behind plain tex; also, i could
> write thousands of pages about how *i* do thinsg but that may
> not be the way you want to do it (and i'm pretty sure that
> the context mkiv color model is different from what e.g. latex does).

Sure. But it would still be useful to have this information just
to see how others (you, in that case) solved a given problem. That
way, the wheel does not need to be reinvented all the time.

> Hans

Jonathan