[Dev-luatex] Chars to glyphs. How to?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Dec 5 12:37:53 CET 2007

> You mean if I insert additional nodes inbetween? If I only modify
> the nodes themselves without touching the list, this should not be
> a problem anyway.

right.

> Shouldn't the subtype be "2"? In setion 7.1.2.12, bit 1 is used
> to denote a glyph, if I understand the manual correctly. Since
> I convert the character to a glyph in the font, this bit should
> be set afterwards.

I am somewhat in doubt about that. The manual and my coding
practise do not quite agree on what the value really should be,
but bit zero should definately be cleared (in fact, that is
the only test made, right now).

Probably, the best approach will be to clear bit zero here (just
before ligaturing), and set bit one *after* both ligaturing and
kerning have happened. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

> Also, in the manual the field is called "char", not "character".
> Which one is correct? (both?)

"char" is correct. Sorry, bad typing.

> Anyway, now I have a place where to start. Still, I am a bit
> clueless on how to create an accented character node. Or do I
> have to insert another character node in the list containing
> the accent (i.e. '"' to create an 'ä' from an 'a')?

A virtual font would be easier, but: yes, you can do it that
way.

>  How do I tell this new node to overlap the 'a'?

By adding some extra kerning around it, and/or tweaking the
values of the "xoffset" and "yoffset" fields (the need for such
node list manipulations is the main reason why a virtual font
is easier).