[Dev-luatex] Letterspacing in LuaTeX: Wants to create <font>+<spacing>ls

Jonathan Sauer Jonathan.Sauer at silverstroke.com
Fri Aug 17 08:53:45 CEST 2007

Hello,

when typesetting a document of mine using LuaTeX, I noticed that
letterspacing seems not to work: LuaTeX runs mktexpk to create
the letterspaced font and fails. pdfTeX simply extends the
spacing of the base font.

I created a small Plain-based example file which demonstrates
the behaviour:

------------------------------- CUT ---------------------------------

\pdfoutput1

\letterspacefont\ltenrm\tenrm10

\ltenrm This is a test.

\tenrm This is a test.

\bye

------------------------------- CUT ---------------------------------

The log:

------------------------------- CUT ---------------------------------

This is luaTeX, Version 3.141592-beta-0.10.2-2007081018 (Web2C 7.5.6)
(LetterspaceFont.tex
[1{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/upd
map/pdftex.map}]kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 72 --mag
1+0/72 --dpi 72 cmr10+10ls
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for cmr10+10ls.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
 )
luaTeX warning (file cmr10+10ls): Font cmr10+10ls at 72 not found
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>
Output written on LetterspaceFont.pdf (1 page, 5404 bytes).
Transcript written on LetterspaceFont.log.

I have attached the resulting PDF; Acrobat 7 Mac displays a warning that
some fonts were not found; Acrobat 8 Win simply uses Helvetica instead
of the missing letterspaced font.

It seems LuaTeX handles letterspacing like early versions of pdfTeX
handle font expansion: By requiring an adjusted font file.

Is this a bug? A feature? A reminder not to use letterspacing? ;-)

Jonathan