[Dev-luatex] Assignments in TeX's mouth, or: "Dr. Zaius, it can talk!"

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Aug 14 14:15:15 CEST 2007

Jonathan Sauer wrote:

>>> And while we're at it: Should string.uppercase and string.lowercase
>>> use the \lccode/\uccode tables?
>> [...]
>> Three: (and this is by far the most important one) using
>> string.uppercase and string.lowercase is not a good idea. It
>> is much better to use the unicode-aware functions in the
>> unicode library.
>
> Then I think string.uppercase and string.lowercase should point
> to the corresponding function in the unicode library to prevent
> confusion and bugs. Or is there a reason to keep the old
> functions around?

Nothing other than that they come from the core lua distribution.

We have been talking about implementing our own utf-8 aware string
functions instead of the current mix of core lua 8bit and unicode
extension library functions. But there has been no time to do
anything about it yet.

>>> When tracing assignments, the ones made from Lua are
>>> flagged as being  \global (BTW: What are these messages
>>> about `reassigning [no_local_whatsits]'?):
>> That is a bug, actually. It is currently using a non-initialized
>> stack variable for the global/local decision, and I could make it
>> do either.
>
> I do not quite understand which part of the above text you are
> adressing. Which one is a bug? The global assignments made from
> Lua, or the reassigning of [no_local_whatsits]? Inferring from Hans'
> mail, I would suspect the latter.

Sorry for the confusion.

The [no_local_whatsits] is an Aleph artifact that could be removed
from the output, but is totally harmless.

The use of global versus local assignment is totally random right now,
and that is the bug I was talking about.