[Dev-luatex] Assignments in TeX's mouth, or: "Dr. Zaius, it can talk!"

Jonathan Sauer Jonathan.Sauer at silverstroke.com
Tue Aug 14 13:30:25 CEST 2007

Hello,

> > BTW: Why is it possible to have 268435456 (2^28) catcode tables?
> > That strikes me, more than 65536 registers, as nearly unlimited.
> > Why not "only" 65536, especially since one would likely run out of
> > memory long before exhausting this amount?
>
> the same is true for the number of lua instances, one seldom
> needs more than a few, but we saw no reason for a limitation

That of course is true.

Do you have any specific applications for catcode tables in mind?

> [...]
> maybe in the long run a more sophisticated grouping model will
> surface, for instance we've been discussing assignments to
> registers that migrate after the the current group (handy
> for local calculations where the result has to be caried over)
> but this has a low priority (fonts, list manipulations has the
> highest)

I think this can be done in TeX right now (although it is a bit
complicated). In
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/deb4f
30f546d7804/8954ab2efb7ab908>,
a multi-token \aftergroup is described that could be used for
this purpose. The \edef-based variation described in the second
half would be a possible approach.

> [...]

Jonathan