[Dev-luatex] Question about localleftbox/localrightbox/local*

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Apr 17 18:10:45 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> when creating some boxes, specials recording the current values of
>> localleftbox etc get inserted.
>>
>> Is there anybody on this list who actually uses those constructs?  I
>
> I really believe you should ask these questions on an omega/aleph
> based mailinglist, not here.

I did that now, but the respective list traffic on the Omega and Aleph
mailing lists does not really make me expect much of a response there
(well, maybe from Idris).

> Luatex is only snapshots at this point (not even alpha status yet),
> so even if you can find example code, you will be unlikely to run it
> without errors. Please, lets not use this list to discuss whether or
> not Omega features live up to the desires of Omega users.

Problem is that those are not just "Omega features" but also "Omega
legacies".  They have effects on the normal operation of LuaTeX even
when not actively being used.  While beating them into having no
effect on typesetting when not actively used can probably be achieved
without changing the overall semantics, this might quite complicate
things.  I consider it likely that some of the present semantics are
mostly an implementation artifact and not actually beneficial.

As far as I can discern, upstream Omega/Aleph are pretty much dead
with regard to active user communities: it does not seem to make
excessive sense for me to try to get any changes discussed or accepted
into either project.  And if I did, I have my doubts they would make
it back into LuaTeX.

And LuaTeX is the code base I am interested in.  So I am both
interested to know what LuaTeX (PDFTeX?) users would _want_ to use
those features for (Idris?  Do you happen to use any of the \local*
stuff?  Feel free to contact me offlist about this, maybe you are the
only one), and what Omega/Aleph users already _did_ use them for, and
in what manner.

So I don't think it was wrong of me to ask on this list, but if you
consider this topic disruptive, I'll be perfectly happy to receive any
replies/communication about this off-list.

--
David Kastrup