[Dev-luatex] Question about localleftbox/localrightbox/local*

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Apr 17 17:15:30 CEST 2007

Hi,

when creating some boxes, specials recording the current values of
localleftbox etc get inserted.

Is there anybody on this list who actually uses those constructs?  I
am trying to figure out sensible semantics for them, and I have my
doubts that the current semantics actually are fully operative for the
purposes for which they have been created.

So I'd be interested in hearing of any existing use cases/TeX code for
them.  Part of the reason is that they may interfere with normal
typesetting in a manner similar to source specials in the current
manner of implementation.  Part of the reason is that the purpose for
which I think they have been created (running quote characters) might
be defeated by the current implementation if one unboxes material into
a running paragraph.

Analysing this would be facilitated by existing code making use of
those features.

Thanks,

--
David Kastrup