[Dev-luatex] Minimal example of using OTF/TTF?

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Apr 6 20:06:56 CEST 2007

There is probably a really simple answer to this, but what is the
current method for loading OpenType/TrueType fonts in luatex?  I've
tried a few things that do not appear to work, and I haven't been able
to find any complete examples of how to do so.

\pdfoutput=1
\font\myfont={Vera.ttf}  % This doesn't work
%\font\myfont={cmr10} % This does work

{\myfont Testing}
\end

% luatex --fmt=plain foo.tex
This is luaTeX, Version 3.141592-snapshot-2007040613 (Web2C 7.5.6)
(foo.tex
! Font \myfont=Vera.ttf not loadable: Metric (TFM/OFM) file not found or
bad.
<to be read again>
                   \par
l.4

Where Vera.ttf is in current directory.  My impression from the manual
(page 38) was that luatex could construct metrics directly from the font
without needing something like otftotfm.  I also tried registering a
define_font callback that called the font.read_ttf function, but that
gave similar results.

I'm using luatex build from the subversion repository (currently at
revision 386).

--
[Geoff Washburn|geoffw at cis.upenn.edu|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]