[Dev-luatex] Benchmark.

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Apr 6 01:47:32 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, I noticed that quite a few variables were renamed in
>> LuaTeX as compared to the upstream tex.web (underscores added or
>> removed).
>
> I did that, I did it absolutely on purpose, it helped me catch a few
> bugs that went unnoticed *because of* tangle's underscore removal,
> and I do not care at all about the size of diff files.

Stupid question: would some of the following have helped?  In
particular the -strict option sounds helpful.

File: web2c.info,  Node: tangle invocation,  Next: weave invocation,  Up: WEB

8.1 Tangle: Translate WEB to Pascal
===================================

Tangle creates a compilable Pascal program from a WEB source file
(*note WEB::).  Synopsis:

     tangle [OPTION]... WEBFILE[.web] [CHANGEFILE[.ch]]

[...]

`-length=NUMBER'
     The number of characters that are considered significant in an
     identifier.  Whether underline characters are counted depends on
     the `-underline' option.  The default value is 32, the original
     tangle used 7, but this proved too restrictive for use by Web2c.

`-lowercase'
`-mixedcase'
`-uppercase'
     These options specify the case of identifiers in the output of
     tangle.  If `-uppercase' (`-lowercase') is specified, tangle will
     convert all identfiers to uppercase (lowercase).  The default is
     `-mixedcase', which specifies that the case will not be changed.

`-underline'
     When this option is given, tangle does not strip underline
     characters from identifiers.

`-loose'
`-strict'
     These options specify how strict tangle must be when checking
     identifiers for equality.  The default is `-loose', which means
     that tangle will follow the rules set by the case-smashing and
     underline options above.  If `-strict' is set, then identifiers
     will always be stripped of underlines and converted to uppercase
     before checking whether they collide.