[Dev-luatex] \endlinechar can't be set to non-ASCII values.

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Apr 4 14:07:07 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Maybe it would be better if buffer was an array of ASCII rather than
>> packedASCII, namely encoded in UTF21 (or whatever) internally rather
>> than UTF8.
>
> No. And thanks for the bug report, will fix.

The hilarious thing is how I found it.  LaTeX's inputenc package does
the following when loading an input encoding definition:

  \advance\endlinechar\@M
  \xdef\saved at space@catcode{\the\catcode`\ }%
  \catcode`\ 9\relax
  \input{#1.def}%
  \advance\endlinechar-\@M
  \catcode`\ \saved at space@catcode\relax

Of course, advancing \endlinechar by 10000 is not quite far enough for
LuaTeX...  Separate report to LaTeX team is out.

--
David Kastrup