[Dev-luatex] A design philosophy question...

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Apr 3 14:24:59 CEST 2007

"Martin Schröder" <martin at oneiros.de> writes:

> 2007/4/3, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org>:
>> Anyway, this would make "72.27pt" the same value as "1in".  Which was
>> what this was all supposed to be about.  Only that I wanted to check
>> that I did not break anything, and things were broken already.
>
> Looks good.
>
> Does this affect the trip test? We should try to keep passing it, if
> possible. :-)

If the trip test does a good job at capturing TeX's idiosyncrasies, it
should break.

I have scanned through the source code of the test and still feel
sick.  Anyway, there are surprisingly few uses of units.  So I can't
really guess either which way.  In some locations he uses numbers with
a ridiculous precision (making them exact): in those cases likely
neither rounding nor truncation occur.  So the change _has_ a
possibility of passing the trip test, but if it does so, it is more by
accident than by spirit.

I have also filed this several months ago as a bug report to Bb, so
there is a minuscule chance of Knuth considering a fix upstream at the
end of the year.  I know that he has an aversion of changing anything
with such an impact, but then he wants TeX to become an epitaph, and
what kind of epitaph for the author of "The Art of Computing --
Seminumerical Algorithms" would it be if "1in" and "72.27pt" had
different values?

--
David Kastrup