[Dev-luatex] Benchmark.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Apr 2 20:05:33 CEST 2007

David Kastrup wrote:
> Hi,
> latex -ini latex.ltx gives
>
> real	0m0.498s
> user	0m0.080s
> sys	0m0.408s
>
> luatex -ini latex.8bit (where the latter just sets up the bytes->utf8
> conversion through
>
> \directlua0{
>   callback.register("process_input_buffer", function(buf)
>     return unicode.utf8.char(unicode.latin1.byte(buf,1,-1))
>   end)}
>
> like in the last mail and then loads LaTeX) is
>
> real	0m2.730s
> user	0m1.836s
> sys	0m0.700s
>
> Sadly, I have no good way to see how much of this is caused by the
> callback, and how much is due to other LuaTeX particularities.
>
> However, one can run tex.tex through LuaTeX with and without this
> translation, and just run the normal TeX engine, too.
>
> tex tex.tex gives us
> real	0m1.253s
> user	0m0.496s
> sys	0m0.664s
>
> luatex tex.tex gives us
> real	0m14.329s
> user	0m13.413s
> sys	0m0.872s

pdftex -progname=context --ini *x.tex
luatex -progname=context --ini *x.tex")

with x ==

\input plain
\bye

gives

luatex: 1.021
pdftex: 0.941

so, actually luatex is not much slower; saving the format takes a bit more time (i tremember that we did timings to determint the compress level and accepted a 30% slow down and slightly less than maximum compression)

luatex: 1.071
pdftex: 1.252

when testing you need to keep an eye on the memory settings as well as (e)tex mode; luatex is always etex