[Dev-luatex] Benchmark.

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Apr 2 19:27:05 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Some of it might be the difference in table sizes for the plain TeX
>> executable.  But the factor of 25 seems to fit rather well also with
>> the LaTeX format test.  Any idea where the bulk of this would be from?
>> What would somebody wanting to use LuaTeX in a production environment
>> do (apart from getting his head examined, I mean)?
>
> Luatex is slower than normal tex, and I expect the values for dumping
> latex are about right.Dumping any format is quite a bit slower,
> because the format is a) bigger, b) more complex, and c) compressed.
>
> What is wrong with that tex.tex file is a mystery. I have not seen
> such slowness here and do not (yet) comprehend what is going on. Is
> there any particular part where it hesitates, or is it just overall
> much slower?

No, just going slowly overall the way it looks, so it can't be
kpathsea, I guess.  The file is just generated by

weave tex.web

and then compiled either with

tex tex

or with (after luatex -ini plain.tex "\dump")

luatex "&plain" tex

I should probably repeat the test with pdfTeX rather than TeX, but I
have my doubts that it will account for _such_ a difference.  In
particular when it is running in DVI mode.

I have not yet looked at the optimization options with which LuaTeX
gets compiled.