[Dev-luatex] Benchmark.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Apr 2 18:28:38 CEST 2007

David Kastrup wrote:
> Hi,
> latex -ini latex.ltx gives
>
> real	0m0.498s
> user	0m0.080s
> sys	0m0.408s

here the format generation ratio is pdftex : luatex = 11 : 15 (luatex
format is larger due to lua code)
> luatex -ini latex.8bit (where the latter just sets up the bytes->utf8
> conversion through
>
> \directlua0{
>   callback.register("process_input_buffer", function(buf)
>     return unicode.utf8.char(unicode.latin1.byte(buf,1,-1))
>   end)}

\directlua0{
  do
	local uuc = unicode.utf8.char
        local ulb = unicode.latin1.byte
  	callback.register("process_input_buffer", function(buf)
    		return uuc(ulb(buf,1,-1))
  	end)
  end }

    		return uuc(ulb(buf))

probably also works ok

> Some of it might be the difference in table sizes for the plain TeX
> executable.  But the factor of 25 seems to fit rather well also with
> the LaTeX format test.  Any idea where the bulk of this would be from?
> What would somebody wanting to use LuaTeX in a production environment
> do (apart from getting his head examined, I mean)?

maybe sparse tables in the tex part