[Dev-luatex] Rationale for using putenv?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Apr 2 15:35:03 CEST 2007

Hi,

David Kastrup wrote:
> Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> writes:
>
>>   [setenv]
>>
>>> Rationale: it is not more portable, because win32 doesn't
>>> have it (and Solaris is unknown).
>>   No, Solaris doesn't have it either.
>
> That's the great thing about standards.  People can agree on the best
> thing to do, and then ignore it.
>
> Sorry, I just assumed from reading the Posix manpage for that
> functionality that one could expect setenv but not putenv in general.
>
> Maybe there are strict Posix systems without XSI (?) around, in which
> case one would need to use setenv.

That is true, we just haven't found one yet.

> Perhaps a case for autoconf?

I much prefer to have a target-specific compiles via the makefile,
like lua itself does. Autotools is a disaster unless you are willing
to ignore all commercial platforms (including quite a few unices).

But I have not gotten around to setting that up, so for the moment
I simply write adhoc code with a few ifdefs.