[Dev-luatex] LaTeX and LuaTeX

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Apr 2 14:47:51 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Well, the various LaTeX hyphenation pattern files are giving me a run
>> for my money: authors think it is a good idea to encode them in
>> binary, regardless of whether we are talking latin-1, T1 or koi8
>> encodings.
>>
>> What a mess.  I started writing to a few of the maintainers...
>
> For simplicity, you should use the utf-8 encoded patterns used
> by xelatex and context. The trick with the callback makes luatex
> stop complaining, but it will not hyphenate correctly.

Why not?  As long as one uses fonts in T1, T2A and similar encodings,
things should work, shouldn't they?  Of course, when using Unicode
codepoints, this breaks down.  But at the moment I am just aiming for
getting the same behavior as with standard LaTeX.

> XeTeX has run into the exact same problem.

Hardly surprising, yes.

> The LaTeX way is (probably) creating a 'lualatex' format.
>
>> That's just for dumping: I have not actually tried running this
>> format.  I don't even know whether the callback survives into the
>> format or not...
>
> That functionality could be added in the future, but it doesn't
> survive (un)dumping at the moment.

Well, I guess that calls for \everyjob then at the moment.  Or I
should see what xelatex does.  It is probably easier implementing the
xelatex input encoding primitives in Lua than trying to think about
all of this too much.

--
David Kastrup