[Dev-luatex] Building luatex on i386-darwin

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Nov 16 09:24:31 CET 2006

Hi Arthur,

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> 	Hello luatex team,
>
>   I'm sure you will be delighted to know that luatex compiles fine on
> Intel-based Macs (MacBook with Intel Core Duo processor running MacOS
> 10.4 Tiger), but for two culprits (I used the latest SVN trunk, version
> 159 committed this afternoon; with the snapshot from late October there
> was one more error).

Great news, thanks for posting!

>   The first one is really ridiculous: there are two places where a
> Makefile uses the '-a' switch to cp, which appears not to be legal on

That's just laziness on my part. The subsytems in question have
subdirectories, so I have to write down the mkdir and cp * commands
explicitly. Not a big problem at all, and very simple to fix.

>   The other one is more worrying; it's also a portability issue, this
> time in the linking phase: apparently the native linker doesn't know
> about the -E switch (which for GNU ld is an equivalent for
> --export-dynamic, so it has nothing to do with gcc's -E). I know nothing

This is for the -ldl that is is in $(luatexlibsldextra), and was added
to allow dynamic linking of compiled code (esp. luazip).

Since luazip is already in the binary now and this is a potential
security & portability nightmare also, it may be safer to remove
the autoloading completely.

Hans, Hartmut, everybody, WDYT?

>   Finally, at the same moment, the linker complained about multiple
> definitions of the symbol _scandir (in /usr/lib/libm.dylib --that is the
> system's libm-- and luatex0.o), but again, I decided not to bother.

I should rename that function or add it to the 'zprefixed' ones (the
scandir in luatex0.c is the 'scan a direction specifier' from Aleph).

>   Anyway, the binary worked as expected, as far as I could tell: it was
> able to produce a plain format (I didn't try with latex.ltx); it could
> output PDF or DVI as desired; and the new primitives were there, although
> in this latter case I wasn't sure about what to test.

Great! We should set up a test file (yet another todo)

Greetings, Taco