[Dev-luatex] next steps in development

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun May 7 09:19:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

Hans Hagen wrote:

> (1) \luadef\cs
>
> goal: starts an lua instance
> usage: \luadef\lua

Expect the primitive syntax to be more like the internals of \toksdef,
so the toplevel user command would be \newlua.

There is a catch though: I want to reserve one number for internal
use (callback functions that handle C functionality, like finding
files). Maybe 255, since Tex uses 255 for various things anyway.
WDYT?

> (3) \immediate\luacs
>
> goal: feeds back into the token scanner (no need for scantokens, faster
> due to less parameter passing)
> usage: \immediate\lua{tex.print("$x$")}

This could be the normal behaviour of tex.print(), and if you do
not want it, you could run \detokenize yourself. And we could have
a separate function tex.write() for detokenized use.

> further, taco and i discussed a lua extension using a variant of strings
> using 32 bit entries, partly for the unicode chars and partly for the
> \cs etc pointers so that we can do stringlike thinsg with token lists

I will write up some stuff about this later this week.

> well, we discussed more, but i need to search my memory -)

Amongst other things, we also talked about a new way to load
and use fonts:  not letting TeX read .tfm and .vf files, but
using a ruby library for the internal font loading. That library
then has to return a table with a specified set of keys.
That way, we could have reencoded and synthetic (virtual) fonts
from all over the place without being tied to compiled code or
font formats.

Cheers, Taco