[Dev-luatex] [NTG-context] arab (omega)

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jun 25 18:03:27 CEST 2006

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> [redirected from context list]
>
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:25:37 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid
> <ishamid at colostate.edu> wrote:
>

>> If we get rid of those exceptions the separator problem will go away. But
>> then math will be messed up. The problem is that the
>>
>> + - .
>>
>> are ambiguous; sometimes they have a mathematical significance; sometimes
>> a separator significance. We need the exception for math (generally done
>> the usual l-r way) but don't need it for separators (done in the r-l
>> way).
>>

> Ambiuity is no good; for luatex and beyond we need to consider using the
> 2200 unicode block for math mode and not the math-like symbols from the
> 0000 basic latin block. Then the entire problem goes away. punctuation is
> punctuation; math symbols are math symbols. In TeX the ambiguity is built
> in since it apparently maps the ascii punctuation to math, which is
> anachronstic.

even then, an input language may use + and -; many math things in the unicode blocks may as well be presentational

we should accept that multiple parsers are needed:

some english some arab some english some math ....

explicit switched of (parsing) state are needed; you cannot rely on unicode to handle that,